- From 1 April, the minimum wage rate increases from $20 per hour to $21.20. Communicate the change with your employees in writing and if you have staff on salary, make sure their total remuneration meets the requirements.
- The Holidays Act is getting revamped bringing new ways of calculating holiday pay and other leave entitlements and the ability for employees to take annual holidays in advance. Jump on MBIE’s website for more information.
- This year sees the addition of a new public holiday, Matariki, to be marked on Friday 24 June.
- We expected to see a fair pay agreements Bill introduced this year and the Government introduced it into Parliament on 29 March. People will have an opportunity to comment on the Bill during the Select Committee process.
- Dependent contractor protections are under review by MBIE with measures expected to include extending statutory minimum entitlements for leave and ensuring dependent contractors have the right to bargain collectively. Watch this space!
We’ll keep you up to date as further developments are announced.